Friday, October 1, 2010

[www.keralites.net] Firefox 4 - My Suggestions & Ideas

Firefox4-My Suggestions & Ideas

The new Firefox beta 4 didn't live up to my expectations. Though it's ultra-fast, because of the Graphics accelerated browsing & adds lots of new features, it still lacks some features that enjoyed by previous versions of Firefox & other browsers.

The new beta version doesn't asks for a confirmation, that asked in the previous versions, when we closes Firefox with 2 or more tabs open. It's a great feature if we accidentally closes Firefox & can be cancelled at the confirmation prompt. The lack of a confirmation, to avoid accident closing, can be even worse in the new beta version. The problem is in the new feature 'GROUP TABS' option at the top right corner. When clicking it, displays a miniature screenshots of all open tabs. Though it's a good feature & I liked it, it have an ALL CLOSE 'x' sign displayed on the top right of the screenshots of tabs. When experimenting with the beta, I thought it was for closing that dialog box & I clicked 'all closing' tab. To the very much shock, the browser got closed without any confirmation & along with all my data got lost in the open tabs.
 

Secondly, the beta lacks 'duplicate tab' option found in Google chrome. To tackle this, I used an add-on in previous versions of Firefox, but now that add-on is incompatible with the beta.  The duplicating tab feature was extremely useful to me, that I can duplicate a loaded page in seconds, without much waiting & reloading it again from the net. That option is a great boon, especially for those who have low bandwidth connections like me.

Next, I'm talking about a flaw in Firefox previous & the new beta versions. When I close Firefox, it doesn't close completely, i.e. the window gets closed but it doesn't go off from the memory. It then starts to act wildly. It consumes half of my processor & almost of my RAM. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) with 1 GB of RAM. I then, pull up task manager & end that process (Common to all Windows OS's). There's another flaw too, the new 'Glass' title bar & the tabs acts weirdly after sometime of use (In Windows 7). It goes completely black with the 'minimize' 'maximize' & 'close' buttons no longer working. Again I have to pull up task manager & had to restart Firefox. Please consider to solve these flaws in the coming versions.

I've one more suggestion too. If Firefox beta versions & the previous stable versions could be loaded simultaneously, it would be easier to compare both. Currently, it's not possible. Only one version can be loaded at a time & can only be load the other version, if the 1st opened up is completely closed. If we try to open both at one time, 1st opened version will again open up in a new window, even we clicked on the other icon. I identified the problem & came up with a solution. The two versions have the same process name 'firefox.exe'. When we try to open the both versions at one time, the OS will think, we commanded to open the same version of Firefox that is currently running & it opens a new window of the currently running version.  If the process name of the beta version be slightly different than of its previous version, like 'firefoxb4.exe', I think this problem can never be happen.

Well, if about add-ons. I'm rather disappointed by Mozilla's decision not to give backward compatibility to most of the add-ons that is currently in, to the newer versions of Firefox. Developing add-ons take some time for the latest version. What would we do, if we choose to switch to the latest version & want to use the old add-ons?

I'm using 64 bit version of windows. If I want to enjoy a 64 bit browsing experience, I only have Internet Explorer (64 bit) as an option, but that is too not recommended because of its slow browsing speed. So please develop Firefox64 for us 64 bit users.

The new Firefox beta 4 is really an experience. It's the fastest browser I ever had & I liked all the new features, but please consider above suggestions to make it even better experience.

 Good Luck Firefox Team…………… My best wishes are with you always………….

yσυя ηєтωσяк σƒ ¢σηтα¢тѕ ωιℓℓ вє нєℓρƒυℓ ωнєη тнєяє ιѕ α ρяσвℓєм σя αη σρρσятυηιтy. gяσω yσυя ηєтωσяк…

ωιтн мy вєѕт яєgαя∂ѕ,

Яσвιη Мαтнєω Яααη

www.keralites.net   

No comments:

Post a Comment