Monday, August 8, 2011

[www.keralites.net] Bhavana in Taj

 

Bhavana in Taj
 

Cold marble infused with enduring fire of eternal love - The Taj

 


There are some places in the world which I have listed as `must see' for at least once in my life time. The list included Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt and the Buckingham palace and list goes on. When the chance came for some trips as part of shooting in India and abroad, I got to see different places, not matching to my `must see' list, like Vienna, Malayisa, Singapore, Thailand , Pondicherry , Leh etc. So when Mathrubhumi Yathra invited me for a trip to Taj Mahal, that was like fulfilling my lifetime wish.

While heading for the journey on the next day of Chirtsmas I saw yesteryear actress Sheelamma in the airport. I was reluctant at first to go near her. But I went towards her and I was happy . ``Hi Bhavana, I have seen your films, you are improving '', when she said so I was on cloud nine . That compliement was an energy booster for me. A gift, which I bagged from the dream girl of yesteryear Malayalam cinema. She was going to Chennai . As our flight was ready to take off, we bid her bye and proceeded to the flight.



When the flight landed in Mumbai before proceeding to Delhi, the memories of terror attacks ran to my mind. Though the city is calm outside, something must be burning inside. When the flight was flying low, the city life was visible like a portrait. It is Mumbai, the life must be back to normalcy for sure. But how to heal the wound? What would be the circumstances creating terrorists?At that moment I remembered Sameera, the character I played in the film `Daivanamathil(In the name of God), directed by Jayaraj sir. Sameera with her life, opened the eye of at least one terrorist . If there were more Sameeras. The thoughts went over.

When we landed at Delhi it was 5 pm. The sun was setting. Don't look amusive hearing about dusk in 5 pm. Delhi is like this nowada ys , the night falls so early. 



The next day we were ready at early morning 4 am.While passing through the mist covered cities with lights, the streets were still enjoying the slumber under the blankets but in some places, a usual day was beginning. 180 km to Agra from there, a board indicated. Then came a tea shop. We stopped the car to warm ourselves with a tea. After having a ginger tea the mist in mind vanished and we were all set to go. The road side activities were gettig ready for another day , some villagers were sitting near the fire side . Mustard flowers blossomed in the fields on the road sides.

Kannan is in prison



Our first destination was Madhura, the birth place of Lord Sri Krishna. When we alighted, a group came with the indications of a number of restrictions inside. No cameras, mobile phones….. When I reached in front of the temple, there were strict examinations. All electric equipment including mobiles were not allowed. Even if we reach inside after all these, there is no peace inside the temple as that place too is sorrounded by gunman. Kannan who was born in a prison, seemed like still in a prison.

We hurredely covered the area and went on to Agra. Suddenly I saw my picture in a board kept in front of a shop . I screamed .'Look at my picture'. Hearing this our Hindi driver Ramesh stopped the car. 'Look my picture is being used in the board as a model'. Praveen captured the scene in his camera. 'That's why the shop is closed now', my brother teased me. 'When they surfed the internet for a model, they saw a beauty like Aishwarya Rai.Then they might have used it', I commented. I feel proud as there is no picture of any other Malayalee actress in Madhura.

A continental experince



We had our breakfast from a road side hotel.When every one ordered for Puri and dosai, photographer Praveen ordered for continental breakfast. When dosa and puri arrived, there was no trace of continental . Oh that might take more time for preparation, we thought. When we asked the waiter, he said here it comes. At last it came. Four pieces of bread, amul butter and a piece of jam. Everyone burst out to laugh. Praveen never ordered for food of his choice in any other place. Whatever you poeple eat , that is my choice too, that was the stand.

We were in Sikandra, at the Tomb of Akbar the Great. Akbar put me in dilemma duirng my school days. I still remember how I byhearted the Akbar's rule amendments. We had to reach the tomb through a long corridor. There sat a gate keeper. He asked us to put money and pay respects. When we put Rs 10 here, he said `Allahu Akbar' loudley which echoed in the building. 

Quegemahal



My mind always wished to go to Agra to see Taj. The car would be allowed upto 6 km distance from Taj. Then only environmental friendly vehicles like battery car, camel carts and horse carts etc are allowed. We travelled in battery car. When we reached, there stood the Taj Mahal and out side was the long queue extending kilometers . If we stood in the queue we won't be able to see Taj on that day. Then what to do.

When we were scraching our head in confusion, there appeared a man. His name is Ram Singh. He asked us to follow him. Taj has another gate and we can go through that way. He ensured us that he would get us in. I felt a mild fear in some part of my mind though me too was following him . We were walking inside a large building and there were huge stairs. There was no light . We were in doubt. But Ram Singh said `Jeldi awo, jeldi awo'. Our doubt intensified when he said the same. Still we followed him in the stairs. The stairs lead us to a congested street which had the total villain set up of a hindi film. A person wearing cooling glass and long hair was playing with a cricket ball. One person was standing in other side with a a crude look.For a moment I remembered action herione Vijayasanthi. Don't make me an action heroine. Ram Singh repeated to come fast. 

We follwoed him and reached in front of a gate. There too long queus were extending to kilometers. Ram Singh disappeared for a moment and came back with tickets in his hand. His men were in the queue. The checking followed there too .

Shajahan here I am coming



Once we were inside the Taj, all the bad vibes were out. We, for some time, bid bye to terror fears in the beauty of Taj. There is no use to stand with fear in front of this beauty. While caning photos in different poses, memories of Mumthaz captured my mind. 400 years back , on the second day of the completion of the construction of Taj, Shajahan stood there with daughter Gouhara Begum in memory of the loss of his better half. 

While standing here as a tourist , I think I was Mumthaz during my previous brith. May be it is. The person who helped us to get inside might be a worker in the palace during that time. 'Oh my dear Shajahan Here i am coming', I was wishing so say this loudly. 

Taj : Myths and realities



Taj is under threats due to environmental pollution. The taj is affected by the sulphur dioxide emitted by near by factories and carbon dioxide emnated from vehicles which had affected the marbles. 

During this time, my brother was not seen among us. 'Don't worry we will find him out', other said . But I said I am not tensed . Though I said so, my mother understood how tensed I am. Though there were instructions to switch off mobile, we had to siwtch it on as there was no other way. When I switched on the phone the first call was from him. He was also under tension missing us. Then we located him shortly . 



We went inside of the monument. Mumthaz and Shajahan were sleeping in the octogoal shaped floor.It is said that they are resting in peace looking at holy Mecca. The atmospheer was calm with the recitation of lines from the Holy Quran.

It was the prince of Qurum who later acquired the name Shajahan, means the emperor of the world. Arjumans Banu became Mumthaz, meaning is `dearest in the palace . Mumthz did not restricted herself to the palace. She stood with the emperor. While she was dying that she demanded Shajahan to construct a memorial building. Shajahan did not had a drop of water for a week when she passed away. My brother, who studied history, began to don the role of a guide in front of Taj. The one among the worlds wonders was buit by 20,000 workers for working for 22 years. 



The construction which began on 1623 was completed in 1653. Mumthaz after her 19 years long married life, died while giving birth to her 14 th child. Shajahan who was adamant to built the most beautiful memorial for his love interest, called sculptures from Malaysia, India, Persia, Middle Asian countries. Ustad Isa Afanti built Taj. That time the construction cost was Rs 4 crore and 18 lakh. 40000 Tolah means 465.55 kg gold was took from the exchequer.

There are a number of stories sorrounding Taj. During the time of its construction, the workers were forced to work like slaves. The main sculpturer was killed immedietley after the construction was over with an intention to stop the possiblity of builting another one like this monument. Shajahan also said that he wished to built a black Taj on the opposite side of yamuna and wished to have his tomb there. The base for the same was also built. But when Aurangaseb came to power and Shajahan was put in jail that dream became only a dream. 



For a moment , I closed my eyes. There is n over flowing Yamuna and in its one side is white taj and another side the black. When looking at this beatiful site on twlight day from the Agra fort , that would be an enchanting one. `Hey open your eyes. Look at Yamuna.'. All dreams were shattered in a minute. Yamuna was flowing in dark black colour as proof of man's greed. There were huge chunks of wastes being dumped man to the river which is dried out earlier.

While walking through this white beauty where the history and made up stories are in slumber, I was thinking of something else. How it might looked on the second day of completion of its construction. Each one can imagine their own stories. Taj Mahal means many things to many people…. I rememberd reading those lines somewhere.

Taj was standing as one among the seven wonders. Taj bagged 100 million votes in polls to be selected in the new seven wonders. One among the votes were mine too. Dear Taj , I will come again here with my Shajahan.

History telling the tale



I have been walking thrugh the corridors where the history is telling the tale. The Agra fort. The prosperity of Mughal emperors can be felt here. The murmers of needed devastation is also in the wind. While coming here after relishing the beauty and wonders of Taj, here the memory of the final days of Shajahan would put us in grief. The grief of a father being jailed by the son. A father who was seeking permission to see his love tomb from the jail.A son who is granting permission to see Taj though a small window in jail. We could say thanks to the generosity of son who , as per the wish of his father showed the mercy to bury him near the tomb of Mumthaz.

We also saw the spot where the emperor used to hear the grievances of his people. The archeological department had closed down the gate towards the space. I assumed an Akbar sitting in his couch with all his might. The picture popped up in my mind was of Rithik Roshan's from the film Jodha Akabar. May be the influence of watching the film. 



While I was roaming around as commoner without fan fury, that a Tamil group came to me. They needed autograph and photo. I didn't disappoint them. Is it not great thing that wherever I go in India, there are fans and boards with my picture? Let the jealousy of father and brother to burn more….

With time ticked five, there was night. Then we went back to Delhi. On the way we had our dinner from a Punjabi dhaba. The city was chilling in the mist. I also joined some who were sitting near the fireside. We have to roam in Delhi tomorrow.

In Delhi



We first went to Qutub Minar. The memorial of war victory was constructed by Qutb-ud-din-Aibak .The construction was completed by Ilthumish and Firos Shah. Once the authorities also allowed climbing to its upper part but after an accident that was closed.

I was in real probelm, after getting inside of the Lotus Temple, the Bahai hosue of worship, as no one should speak a word inside the temple. My mom said that me, who even speaks in sleep , kept shut my mouth at least for some time. Yes, what she said was true, I was all eager to say something. I was even thinking to burst out to laugh seeing everone striving to keep silent.



The Red Fort, from where our first prime minsiter Jawaharlal Nahru announced independence of our counry. There was also strict security as it is also sorrounded by armed men.

Another view was Akshardham temple. This Swami Narayan Temple is proof that such structural wonders are possible these days too. A complete day is needed to see that. There was also long queues. We completed the journey after seeing India gate, standing as a monument of brave soldiers, Rashtrapathi Bhavan, Teen moorthi Bhavan , the family home of Nehru, Raj Ghat , where Mahathma Gandhi was laid to rest, Sakhi Sthal , the memorial of Indira Gandhi and Veerbhoomi of Rajiv Gandhi. 

There are still more places to see. Let it be there as when I come here next time, there has to be some places to be seen…… 






 Fun & Info @ Keralites.net

www.keralites.net   

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KERALITES - A moderated eGroup exclusively for Keralites...
To subscribe send a mail to Keralites-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
Send your posts to Keralites@yahoogroups.com.
Send your suggestions to Keralites-owner@yahoogroups.com.

To unsubscribe send a mail to Keralites-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Homepage: www.keralites.net
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment